About This Project
Workspace/Office, Building Repurposing
Greiner Construction has proudly partnered with MetroPlains to remodel three non-profit organization workspaces within the 1919 University Centre in St. Paul. The goal was to update the 1920’s era building to give it a fresh and modern new look.
The scope of work included:
- Install a new main building entrance on the south side which would face University Avenue
- Add a metal panel clad canopy and an accessible route to the entrance from the sidewalk
- Remove the previous main entrance on the north facade and add a new metal panel clad canopy to match the southern entrance
- Remove a large portion of the limestone panel on the southern face and replace with glass curtainwall at floors 2-5
- Add storefront glass on the first floor and a metal panel sign to separate the two window systems at the second-floor line
- Demolish interior restrooms on floors 3-5 and rebuild in a new location to accommodate the glass wall
- Raise up the space between University Avenue and the building to match the level of the first floor
- Build out a multi-level patio space
- Add an accessible route connected to the sidewalk
The biggest challenge of this project was that all of the work was completed while the building was occupied.
This project was led by Tony Ghilani.