As many of us in business know, growing a new market is no small feat. Strategic planning, relationship development, key hires, and brand awareness are just a few of the tactics needed to support a company’s regional growth plan.
As a full-service general contractor with deep roots in the Minneapolis area, Greiner was certainly no exception. Despite the challenges it faced, our leadership team had a strong vision of sharing our company’s “gold standard” of commercial construction with a new client base in the thriving city of Des Moines, Iowa.
Here’s how it all came to be.
Step 1: We hired the best local talent
The vision and execution of our commitment to the Des Moines CRE market would not be possible without the expertise of Construction Executive Josh Miltenberger. Welcomed into the Greiner family in late 2019, he is a LEED Accredited Professional with a B.S. in Construction Engineering from Iowa State University and brings over 15 years of commercial construction experience to the team.
Over the past year, Josh has provided outstanding leadership to our project teams in Des Moines and the surrounding areas, building strong relationships with clients, design team members, and trade contractors alike. As a lifelong Iowa native, he is also active with several non-profit and volunteer organizations in the Des Moines metro area, including:
- The Des Moines Downtown Chamber
- BOMA Iowa
- The Iowa Commercial Real Estate Association
- AIA Iowa
- CREW Iowa
- The Iowa Architectural Foundation
- The Ankeny Leadership Institute
Step 2: We did outstanding work for regional businesses
One specific tactic that has been key to our growth-strategy in Des Moines is relationship development. For over three decades, Greiner has been working to bring trust, respect, and value to our relationships, always keeping a personal connection at the center of all we do.
Because of these great partnerships, we were able to complete a variety of projects for Iowa-based companies, both big and small. Here are a couple of key highlights:
- Wells Fargo: Greiner has continued to show a steadfast commitment to our long-time partner, Wells Fargo. With a large corporate presence in both Des Moines and Minneapolis, Greiner was quickly called to action to deliver a variety of service work for their corporate locations.
- Bolton & Menk: Greiner completed their new, 13,000 sq. ft. office space in Des Moines. We began the project at the end of July and had it ready for them to move in by mid-November.
Beyond tenant interior and service work, Greiner provides general contracting services to clients of all sizes in the following markets:
- Multi-family housing: The Greiner Construction team has experience building some of the trendiest and most sought-after multi-family housing. From ground-up apartment complexes to major historic renovations, we give all our projects the time and attention they deserve because we truly believe that home is where the heart is.
- Healthcare: Whether it’s medical, dental, or mental health, Greiner Construction builds over 300,000 square feet of healthcare space every year. From ground-up medical centers to tenant build-outs, our experience and understanding of medical technology spans the full range of healthcare facilities.
- Industrial: We are proud to partner with industrial firms to provide superior office, warehouse, manufacturing, and distribution facilities that integrate efficiencies into the buildings to increase operational productivity. With innovation and automation comes the need to build spaces that are adaptable, scalable, durable, and easily maintained—and Greiner Construction has you covered.
- Adaptive reuse: Our team believes in letting a structure’s story help determine its future. We take your building and transform it into a reimagined space that meets the needs of today. From vacant historic warehouses to luxury boutique hotels and event venues, the possibilities for building repurposing are endless.
Whether your business is located in Iowa, Minnesota, or any of the surrounding states, we look forward to serving you in 2021 and beyond. Contact us today to discuss your next project.
Step 3: We built a space of our own to call home
Under the project management of Josh Miltenberger and site leadership of John Kieger—as well as our partnership with our friends at Slingshot Architecture—we were able to bring our stunning new office in downtown Des Moines to life.
Located at 400 Locust Street, Suite 140, in the Capital Square building, the 1,730 square foot space features a 12-person conference room, huddle room, break area, and an open-office area for up to 8 employees.
We couldn’t be prouder to call this new office home!
A Brief Q&A with Construction Executive Josh Miltenberger
Josh was gracious enough to speak with us recently about his experience with Greiner, the current state of the Des Moines market, and his plans for 2021. Here’s what he had to say.
Why did you choose to work at Greiner?
What really stood out to me with Greiner was their approach to client relationships and the level of services they offer. There’s a great culture and a really rich history here. This was evident to me when the company explained its partnership with McDonald’s.
Greiner was there to support this prominent brand’s every need, from a door handle replacement to the construction of a new restaurant. It was the epitome of the work I wanted to do and the long-term partnerships I wanted to offer my clients.
What differentiates Greiner in the Des Moines market?
Greiner offers the strength and expertise of a larger general contractor, without sacrificing the flexibility and nimbleness of a smaller firm. We are first and foremost a service-based company, with a high aptitude for caring for our clients that isn’t typical of most businesses, particularly in this area.
We are a fun, humble, and accessible team that operates like a business, yet feels more like a family. There is no project that is too big or too small for our high-value, white-glove service—we are always happy to do it!
What stands out to you as your professional highlight of the year?
In December, we completed the Bolton and Menk project on time, despite a hastened timeframe and several other challenges along the way.
What has been your personal highlight this year?
For me, it was seeing the growth of my two children as they are now both school-aged. I am also nearing the final stages of adopting a 2-year-old girl from overseas, so I’m very excited about that.
What are your professional goals for 2021?
After the year we’ve had, there is a lot of opportunity on the table moving forward. I plan to continue to grow our Des Moines team with top talent, build on Greiner’s value in trusted partnerships, and enhance our existing relationships with partners such as Wells Fargo.
Another area that I’d like to improve upon is our local brand recognition. There have been quite a few new contractors in the Des Moines market over the past 10 years, so it’s vitally important that we get our name out there.
We’re ready to serve you
At Greiner, we know that our successes are greater than any one individual. As such, we recognize that our accomplishments in the Des Moines market are not only a testament to the collaboration of our entire company but also the strong relationships we’ve established with local partners.
Thank you to all of those who have contributed to a successful year. And to those we have yet to meet, we look forward to working with you! Contact us today to learn more.